I finally made it to the farmer's market this weekend! Summer produce in all it's glory, I seriously love this time of year. So much organic produce at unbelievable prices. Our fridge is completely stocked. I found some beautiful zucchini and bought a bunch, not sure what I was going to do with them...until Reese asked me for a giant oatmeal raisin cookie she spotted over in the next tent at the market. Suddenly, I reaaalllly wanted an oatmeal raisin cookie but of course they weren't gluten-free. No problem, I decided to make my own (and probably healthier) version - thus the zucchini oatmeal raisin muffin was born. A perfect compromise in my opinion!
Unlike some zucchini breads that are loaded with sugar, these muffins are not overly sweet. Since I only used raw honey and a bit of applesauce, they are refined sugar free, making them perfect for kiddos (and anyone else trying to watch their sugar intake - aka me). These zucchini muffins are gluten-free (of course) and vegan (bonus!). And they are quick to throw together - I didn't even have to use the mixer. Yay for less cleanup!
Since I was making these for Reese as well, I omitted the walnuts I wanted to add. But, I think a small handful of chopped walnuts would really make these awesome! You could also up the spices a touch if you aren't concerned about appealing to a picky toddler palate. And if you really want to get crazy, switch the raisins for dark chocolate chips...watch out! Hope you enjoy these!
Zucchini Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
Yield: About 8 muffins
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tablespoons flax meal + 6 tablespoons water (for flax egg)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups grates zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- small handful of currants or raisins
- small handful of coconut flakes
- small handful of chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients - oat flour, whole oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients - honey, coconut oil, flax egg, applesauce and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir to combine. Add in the zucchini, currants or raisins and coconut flakes and stir again until just combined.
- Scoop batter into the muffin tin, filling almost to the top (I was able to make about 8 muffins).
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool before removing muffins from muffin tin.