Sometimes you just need a massive crunchy salad. One that is easy to toss together, full of nutrient packed ingredients, healthy fats and even tastes great as leftovers. Oh, and not a piece of lettuce in site here. I have nothing against "lettuce" based salads, but after a while, they get so...blah. Boring. This paleo broccoli slaw is quick to make, and the perfect thing to make the night before for lunch at work. It will still be crunchy this next day, promise!
Find yourself a bag of broccoli slaw pre-made in the produce section. I've picked them up before at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Sprouts. It usually has a mix of broccoli, red cabbage and carrots. Usually I am all for doing the chopping myself, but this is supposed to be quick and easy! Like when you get home from work and have a barking dog, a crying hungry toddler, and your thoughts drift to inhaling a pot of mac and cheese. DON'T. Do this instead. Eat some veggies first, and suddenly the mac and cheese is not so appealing, ha! Around here, the after-work 6pm dinner struggle is real. It is real my friends.
And let's talk dressing. Dressing can make or break a salad. Horrible dressing = salad ruined. Store-bought dressings are usually filled with some questionable ingredients, and the good organic brands cost a pretty penny. Don't pour weird stuff all over the beautiful vegetables! Do yourself a favor and make your own dressings. You probably have all the ingredients you need. Just make a big batch and store in the fridge in a glass jar for future consumption. And this dressing from Angela at Oh She Glows is my new favorite! Balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar combined to make a tangy/sweet combo that really works with the slaw. Or really anything else you could think of!
Quick Paleo Broccoli Slaw with Homemade Vinaigrette
Prep time: 5 minutes
Yields: 2 large servings (use the full bag if you are making this for a crowd)
- I/2 bag organic broccoli slaw
- 1 organic apple, sliced into match sticks (I used a pink lady but a tart green would be great)
- 2 small handfuls of raw sunflower seeds
- 1 small handful of currants (or raisins)
- 1 small handful of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons organic hemp seeds
Dressing (from Angela at Oh She Glows):
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- fine grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Toss all the salad ingredients together.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, until well combined.
- Dress the slaw and toss together really well to coat the veggies. You can eat right away, or let the dressing soak in for a few minutes.
- Store any leftovers in a glass container to eat the next day!